Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Various Assorted Miscelania...

A few months ago someone spilled a drink on my computer and fried it.  We'll call this guy B. Vance.  No, no, that's too obvious, let's call him Brian V.  The computer itself was pretty much garbage but I was bummed out about all the files that were on there that I had lost. I finally brought my computer to the "magic Korean computer man" that runs a shop in our neighbourhood and he lived up to his reputation.  Not only did he recover the files, he also fixed the computer and cleaned it up to make it run way faster.  Total cost?  About $40.  Nobody does service industry like Koreans, that's for sure.  Since I've got all of my files back I've got way more videos and pictures to post.  Like this one.
This is a banner that one of my sponsors made from some pictures of some of their fighters.  The cool part isn't that I'm in ad (okay, I thought that was pretty cool too), it's that the guy beside me on the right is Jon Jones.  Yeah, the same Jon Jones that just busted up Brandon Vera and is making a statement as one of the toughest 205 lbers in the UFC.


The Fight Scene
Before last week I had put in real solid few weeks of training.  Good jiu jitsu classes, wrestling and kickboxing with Un Sik and lots of MMA sparring.  Heung Kul is leaving this friday to represent Korea at the Abu Dhabi Asian tournament.  Usually all of good jiu jitsu guys come in at different times, but lately everyone's been in all together to help get Heung Kul ready for the tournament.  The training has been pretty awesome, and I like Heung Kul's chances. 
There has also been a fighter from one of our affiliate clubs in Daejeon up training for the last week.  He has a title fight in a minor Japanese organization next month and has been around to get some good sparring in.  Over the last while I became one of his main training and sparring partners which has been great for me.
Unfortunately all of the training hasn't been great for a nagging injury that just won't go away.  Over the last few weeks it has become worse and worse to the point that walking up stairs is a bit of a challenge.  I'm going to take a little time away from training because I am apparently incapable of going to the club and not getting sucked into a few sparring sessions.  Hopefully it's nothing serious, but we'll have to see how the injury settles down over the next little while.  In the meantime I'll be hitting the local outdoor gym to keep my sanity and to make sure that when I feel good I'll still be ready to go.


Still Konglish
Here are a few pictures of funny Korean signs that I've run across lately.  I wish I had my camera on me all the time, unless you live here it's almost impossible to understand how often you see hilariously misspelled or miss worded signs and advertisements.
  I feel it baby, I feel it.

This one is in every subway station in the city.

I'm glad the Korean toothpaste industry is finally standing up to the evil forces of calculus, algebra and trigonometry.

Ultimate
Our second season of Ultimate Frisbee is underway and the league has a different look than last season.  The league is growing.  We have six teams of 14 or 15 players and there are players that travel from Busan and Deajeon every week just to play in the league. The quality of play is much higher this season and the games are a lot closer than in the past.  There are a lot of really good athletes in the league and some people with some serious disc skills.  Most of our friends play in the league and more than anything it's a great way to get together with a bunch of other foreigners and spend an active Sunday afternoon.  Here are some shots of all the action.
 Daegu Hurricane.  You might notice I'm the captain.  I'm kind of a big deal.  Ha.  I'm actually about the 5th or 6th best player on our team. I just got the job because no one else wanted it.

Freddie and Yeung Min, two of the speediest guys in the league.  I always get matched up on these guys when we play their teams.  Good times.

Edwin, a nice addition to the Hurricanes this season, stretches for a grab.

 This is my teammate Steve after Vance broke his nose.  Yeah, the same Vance that broke my computer.  
That guy is a menace.

No comments:

Post a Comment